Update: Our house looks worse than when we bought it.
Pretty much all we’ve done the past 2 weeks is scrape popcorn ceilings and sand woodwork. I cannot even begin to describe the amount of dust.
OMG. Life is SO DUSTY right now.
And honestly, I am almost immune to it. Until we finish the sanding and scraping, I just EXPECT everything around me to be covered in fine white powder.
Here’s some photo evidence:
We got smart and started using plastic to catch the popcorn. The cleanup is just too ridiculous if not.
The below photos were taken right after our A/C went out on the top floor (it’s ok, we have a home warranty)! So smart of us to completely shut off air circulation in the hallway with plastic. After the application of water on the ceilings, it got so humid that even my calves were sweating. There was basically no mess when we were finished, which made it worth it!
We ran across a big problem that has taken up a lot of time. We knew the windows in our living room had some wood rot before we bought the house, but we didn’t know the extent. Turns out, all 3 windows are shot 🙁
Trent and his dad, Tom, spent two FULL DAYS rebuilding this thing. Not only was the window frame and all surrounding wood rotten, but they found ants living in the floor boards. SICK.
This could be old termite damage that the ants moved into. We aren’t sure yet.
They had to cut a good 18 inches out of the floor where the ants had damaged the wood. See the hole in the floor on the pic below? The gray piece in the bottom of the hole is the basement ceiling. Lord help us.
We obviously would not have this house if my husband wasn’t so handy. Here’s the window all rebuilt, with foam insulation:
After uncovering the other two rotten windows, we found a surprise in one….
behind the plastic…
it’s a BIRD’S NEST. This explains the hole on the exterior of the house.
While Trent and his dad did all that, I tackled the master bedroom. We hope to get done with it soon so we can have a place to escape the madness. It’s just about ready for paint!
Since Trent was busy, I decided to take out the tile in our master bath. To my surprise, the pieces came out in full tiles, underlayment still attached. It took me like 30 minutes total. I was feeling pretty proud, then Trent told me it must have been laid wrong. OR MAYBE I’M A SKILLED TILE RIPPER OUTER. idk.
Tom finished the job by ripping out our shower. So excited to tile it soon.
Gracie is enjoying her backyard. She has discovered the groundhog living under the porch, which has been fun. Except actually not fun at all.
I forgot to include pictures in the last post, but we have a gorgeous wooded view….behind a weed ridden nightmare. Believe it or not, there’s 3 full tiers of terracing, which we could see when we first saw the house in February, and now we can’t see at all. I asked the man at Home Depot what to use to kill everything, and he asked how high the weeds are.
“Um, like 5 feet.”
“…Ya, nothing is actually going to kill that. You’re going to have to cut those.”
NO. NO. NO. Ignoring the backyard entirely until we have the mental capacity to go out into that mosquito hole and trim some crap.
In other news, our wood flooring came in! I was shocked when it took two whole truck beds to haul it home. We are installing it ourselves, so it was a wee bit overwhelming….ok a lot a bit overwhelming.
If you were anxious to see all the progress we’ve made, go ahead and adjust your expectations. Talking to myself here. Because it will be a WHILE until things start transforming.
Until next time!